Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Thinking Chuhuac Power Armor

As the machine grinds away on bringing you the debut packs for the Chuhuac, my imagination continues to spin out of control on what things may join them on the battlefield in the future.

One of the constant requests in 15mm science fiction is power armored troops for new armies. I imagine that the Chuhuac will be no different. Making power armor for something shaped like a semi-bipedal dinosaur presents a fair challenge and in considering how to go about it, I find myself with two particular things I'd like to accomplish -

  1. Accommodate the dinosaur anatomy in a way that reinforces it and protects it, while allowing it to function in a manner that is consistent with its overall geometry.
  2. Design a look that does not look like a robo raptor or a Zoid.
Below are some images of some of the ideas I have come up with. The idea if an enclosed clam shell arrangement that keeps the head and neck protected. The trooper inside would use micro-cameras and HUDs to operate without fear of a vulnerable neck to torso connection in a servo-assisted armor suit. The other notable feature is the simplified tail that remains flexible at the base so that it can operate as a rudder, allowing the raptor a very natural movement. I also thought that the new rigid tail could be a good place for the suit's heat exchange system.



As for the weapons configuration, I figured the use of hands might not be all that necessary for battlefield purposes, so I relegated the arms to small, anti-personnel weapon mounts. In fact, I've even considered these being just weapons mounts without the trooper's arms in them at all. Still, this might change because hands can still be useful.

Main armament currently takes the form of weapon pods on the back of the power armor. The primary weapons tech for the Chuhuac is energy/plasma based so ammo feeds need be nothing more than power lines in the housing. Missiles, plasma cannons, rapid-fire lasers, all manner of fun could be put back there, though I think any final designs will have smaller, sleeker weapon pods than these sketches show.



All of the pictures here are just really quick conceptual sketches and brainstorming on paper. Heck these are right off my camera phone because I did them at work. I hope you like this little insight into my creative process and would love to hear your thoughts on this direction with the Chuhuac power armor design.

Take care and have fun!

-Eli



7 comments:

  1. Magdamnificent ideas! I really think you're on the right track for Chuhuac power armor Eli. On the arms, I like the idea of the Chuhuac not putting their actual arm within them, you could add waldo operated "hands" to the streamlined weapon arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like that, with the idea of back mounted weapons, and using the arms as anti-personnel weapons. Though I would've thought the arms would need to go somewhere, unless they just stay cramped up in the suit. I would have them put their arms in, with waldos as suggested above in case they need to pick something up or manipulate things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good feedback guys.

    This is just an early concept and will likely go through the filter of an artist more skilled than eye to reach final design. If you look at the sketches that show the placement of the guy inside, you will see that there is a good amount of room to move in there.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like 'arms in' and 'grabbers outside' too. We've talked offline so you alreaady know I think the concept has got legs, err, no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea. What's the purpose of the power armor - increased firepower per individual, increased carrying capability, simply protection, or some kind of speed/mobility boost?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always felt the purpose of power armor is a sort of infantry force miltiplier. Power armor allows you to field mobile infantry who still operate as troops while being able to bear weapon systems comsistent with lighr vehicles or infantry support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like em alot. My only doubt is the armoured tail. Id of thought the tail could 'drop off' if required and then regrow like some lizards do?

    ReplyDelete